Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Living Room Reveal

You have no idea how long I've been waiting to be able to do this post. I started redecorating my living room over A YEAR ago. It has taken this long to pull the pieces together {and of course there are still some tweaks to be made here and there}, but I am finally in a place where I can say, "It's good."

Let me show you where this living room pretty much started. This is in 2010, though we moved into the house in 2008. The decor was pretty much the same all that time.






You can see the room isn't that large in size, nor does it get a lot of good natural light. Let's just say I wasn't really thinking when I decided to paint the space a medium taupe/brown. It literally felt like a dungeon in the evenings, and the daytime wasn't that great either. I'm a bright, natural-light-lovin' girl.

The first steps I took when I started redecorating last year, was to pick some accent colors that were bright and cheery, unlike my earth tone go-to's of the past. So naturally, pink and yellow it was! {To the discontent of my husband, but it has grown on him as the space has evolved into my original vision.}

Even with these bright changes, the paint color in the room still made it feel dark. I knew we had to go lighter. I thought a nice light gray would be just the right fit, plus I had wanted to paint the kitchen that color too ever since our remodel of that late last year. So here you go...{beware: pic overload!}
















I'm sure you noticed the large blank wall above the couch. Before we painted, I actually had all the wall pictures in one large gallery there, but it was a little busy and I really need something to fill the small walls, so I thought splitting the frames up into three different galleries was the best thing. My plan with the large wall is to put my artistic skills to use and make a custom painting on canvas. I will keep you posted on that.

Overall, I am so much happier about the space. It is fun, bright and bold...a true reflection of me. I want our boys to enjoy a happy space...it is modern, yet playful at the same time, and has some personal touches - i.e. my artwork, Tanner's artwork and some DIY pieces. The couch doesn't really go so well anymore, but we are not in the position to get a new one any time soon, so it will have to do...and that La-Z Boy, well it's an eyesore and doesn't really match, but Jake needs a comfy chair in front of the TV. One day it will be replaced with something better. So other than those few things, this room is pretty much done! It feels so good to say that.

Info/Sources:

Paint: HGTV Brand at Sherwin Williams in "Silverlight" - This was the most gray-gray...without purple, blue or green hues in the shade of gray we wanted. I'd say it's a light-medium gray.
Yellow Console Table: Crate & Barrel - but I got it on Craigslist!
3 Paintings in a Row: My artwork
White Frames: Misc. from Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.
Large White Mimosa Quatrefoil Frames: ZGallerie
Magenta Accent Chair: Overstock
Floral Pillows: TJ Maxx
Pallet Art: DIY Project
Faux Ivory Coral: ZGallerie
Yellow Lamp Bases: Target
White Lamp Shades: Target


So what do you think? Please remember to "pin" it if you love it! xoxo

I link up to these parties - check them out!


Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

15 comments:

Unknown said...

You did an AMAZING job! It looks beautiful!! I love the pops of color and the picture display. Enjoy it!
Karen @ Karen's Soiree

Meeha Meeha said...

Wow, excellent job, from the grey paint to the pink and yellow combo (one of my current favorite color combos, ever!) I love the way you balanced the pops of color, so that your hubby doesn't feel overwhelmed by girlishness :)

Angela at A Typical English Home said...

There is so much I love about this transformation, I don't know where to start! Great job.

Thanks for the kind comment on my blog, happily following you back!

Angela @ A Typical English Home

PS, your new social media icons look fab ;-)

Unknown said...

Thank you, everyone! I'm really enjoying the space soooo much...makes me smile every time I enter.

Rita said...

This is so pretty! I am your newest follower, If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-2.html

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

Wow! This is amazing! im in love with the bright bold colors! Would love to have you share at my party!
http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/04/homemade-by-you-46.html

Mandy Beyeler said...

Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
--Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

Krista Aasen said...

Absolutely LOVE your new fresh colour scheme - fabulous job!! I too have been transitioning from dark reds and browns to light and bright.
Krista @thehappyhousie

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

What a fab makeover! I hope you will share at our party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2013/04/creative-things-thursday-link-party.html

Gracielle from MommyA-Z said...

I love the boldness of yellow + pink. Those are happy colors!! Great job.

Stopping by from SITS Saturday Sharefest. :)

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

I love everything you did from the color combo you chose to the wall frames!

Lauren said...

I love the bold colors. Awesome job. I am hosting a link party and I would love it if you would share this.

http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/tuesday-link-party-14.html

Charity said...

Looks amazing! Such a big change and I love the grey with all the bright accents. Really makes it feel cheery and homey all at the same time!

www.joseandcharityspemberley.blogspot.com

Hani said...

Wow.. Love the colors and accessories.. I am featuring you today! :)

Unknown said...

What a great job! It's hard to believe it's the same room.

I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has living room makeovers and organisation as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...